Death Due to World War I

Mantorville Express
November 22, 1918

Word Received Here Monday by His Parents States That He Died October 8th From Wounds Received in Action at Front.


The following telegram was received Monday night by I. L. Burd and announces the death of their son, Vern on the 8th day of last month.

Washington D.C. 6:10 p.m. November 18, 1918.
Leonard Burd, Mantorville, Minnesota

Deeply regret to inform you, message from abroad states Private Vern Vance Burd, Marine Corps, died on October eighth from wounds received in action. No paticulars available but see general information mailed you today. Accept my heartfelt sympathy in the service of his county. Charles G. Long, Brigader General.

Thus is the notice of the first Mantorville boy to make the supreme sacrifice given. No other boy from this village has given his life either in camp or in action in the great war. As is noted above the particulars are lacking but it does state that he died from wounds received in action.

Vern Burd was born in Illinois July 23, 1896, which makes him 22 years, 2 months and 15 days old at the time of his death.

He came with his parents to Mantorville in 1907, and this place has been his home ever since.

On December 13th, 1917, he enlisted at St. Paul in the Marine Corps and left from that place on December 15th for Paris Island, S. C. where he received his training. He remained at Paris Island until the latter part of March when he was taken overseas, arriving there March 27th with Co. D 5th Regt.

Vern was a young man who had many friends. At home he was known as Happy Burd and he surely lived up to his name. He was of a cheerful disposition, always looking on the bright side of life. He will leave a host of friends with a warm memory.

His parents, Mr. and Mrs. I. L. Burd and a sister, Eva and two brother, Floyd and Gilbert all survive him. A memorial service will be held in the Congregation church at an early date. At present his two brothers are ill with influenza and are unable to attend.

The particulars of his death, which are being mailed from Washington, will be published this week if they arrive in time, if not they will be published next week.

Coming at this time the news of his death came as a severe shock to his parents and relatives and many friends. Altho his death had occured over a month ago, it had not been reported and it was thought that all was well with him. His parents have the sincere synmpathy of the entire community in the loss of their son. However, they can derive much comfort in knowing that he died a most honorable death, in the service of his country, for freedom.

submitted by Donna Irish

Back to News
Back to Dodge County Main Page